JOB OPPORTUNITY – LEGAL DIRECTOR
The Mile End Legal Clinic (MELC) is recruiting for the position of Legal Director for a one year leave replacement, a wonderful opportunity for a qualified candidate interested in access to justice in the Greater Montreal area.
The MELC is a registered charity whose mission is to promote access to justice by providing legal assistance to those in need and engaging the legal community in this goal. Since 2002, the MELC offers legal information, advice and accompaniment services to those who do not qualify for Legal Aid but do not have the means to hire a lawyer. The MELC offers free walk-in consultations on Mondays and Wednesdays at three service points located within community organizations in the Mile End, Little Burgundy and Park Extension neighbourhoods.
The MELC works with over 30 volunteer lawyers and has partnerships with the Faculties of Law of McGill University and Université de Montréal through their credited legal clinic courses, hosting 12 students per year. To this end, the MELC also has an educational mandate. To learn more about the organization, visit http://www.justicemontreal.org/.
Under the authority of the Executive Director, the role and responsibilities of the Legal Director are the following:
- Manage the weekly consultation sessions at the Park Extension and Mile End service points (respectively Mondays from 1 – 7:30 PM at 419 St-Roch St. and Wednesdays from 4 – 7:30 PM at 99 Bernard St. West);
- Jointly with the Executive Director, ensure follow-ups of client files for MELC’s three service points, and act as the organization’s legal counsel (e.g. by reviewing and editing demand letters, legal proceedings, and providing summary legal advice);
- Supervise the MELC’s law students and lead weekly team meetings;
- Collaborate with volunteer lawyers on cases requiring their intervention, and facilitate their involvement in the organization;
- Manage the operations of the Park Extension service point;
- Promote the Park Extension service point, including fostering relationships with community organizations and with representatives at each level of government;
- Develop a public legal education workshop for the Park Extension service point, in partnership with local organizations and according to their needs;
- As the MELC grows, work with the Executive Director to elaborate a strategic review of clinic operations, to ensure resources and services are used and delivered most efficiently and effectively.
Profile of Candidate
Candidates should be members of the Barreau du Québec for at least two years, be bilingual (English and French), and have strong communication and management skills, notably practical and relevant experience in managing legal files. Experience in general civil litigation is an asset, especially in tenancy law, immigration law or family law.
Candidates should be knowledgeable about access to justice issues and be dedicated to this principle, as well as be open to working with a diverse clientele. Persons considered will have a demonstrated interest for public legal education, social justice, have an entrepreneurial spirit, show a strong sense of initiative, and a demonstrated ability to work autonomously.
Conditions of Employment
This is a 12-month full-time contract with the expected start date on February 26, 2018. The salary is fixed by grant at $40,000/year. Employment compensation also includes four weeks of vacation, coverage of Barreau du Québec fees and professional liability insurance, and a $500 lump sum for mandatory continuing education. Candidates must be available for consultation sessions on Monday and Wednesday evenings until 7:30 PM.
Applications will be accepted until Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 5 PM. To apply, please send the following documents to the attention of Mtre Leslie Ning, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org: (1) cover letter, (2) CV, and (3) a text answering the question “In your opinion, what are the main issues and challenges of a community legal clinic in Montreal?” (400 word limit). Please note that the candidacy will be rejected if it does not respect the criteria above.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.